Top 10 Reasons Why Travel is Good for You
Getting out of your comfort zone and opening your eyes to the world around you are just a few of the reasons why travel is good for you.
by Elisa Hindes
For many people travel isn’t just something you do, it’s a part of who we are and what drives us. The desire to see the world and have new experiences is very strong for some and life can become a process of working in between planning the next exciting trip. If you haven’t already been bitten by the wanderlust bug, you definitely should consider planning a trip. And if you need more convincing, here’s ten great reasons why travel is good for you.
- Gain independence.When you’re in a new environment you learn self-reliance. You have to find your way and make things work, which gives you the sense that you can make it on your own.
- Helps you to appreciate home. Just like the saying goes, “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” Nothing makes you appreciate home like being away from everything that is familiar.
- Gets you out of your comfort zone. Pushing your boundaries (safely!) is a good thing. You find out exactly what you’re made of when you’re in new situations and you have to adapt and react.
- Opens your eyes. It’s important for all of us to understand the world around us. Exploring new cultures, broadening our horizons, and learning about our place in the world is an important part of appreciating the planet and humanity.
- Helps to reduce stress and revitalize you. Let’s face it, most of us are stressed out and overworked. Travel gives you that much needed break from your own reality, where you can relax, enjoy, explore, and renew your zest for life.
- Builds relationships. Meeting new people is perhaps one of the best reasons why travel is good for you. People can forge incredible bonds during travel, the kind of friendships that can last a lifetime.
- Utilizes your skills and helps you develop new ones. Travel requires planning, organization, patience, attention to detail, flexibility, adaptability, perseverance, and a sense of humor. All of these skills benefit you in work and daily life.
- Teaches you to enjoy the moment. When we travel we want to take everything in and enjoy all the amazing sights and sounds around us. We want to savor every sunset, every view, every meal, and every new adventure.
- Get to know yourself. This is especially true when traveling alone. You have the opportunity to be alone with your thoughts and can enjoy your own company. And most importantly, you can learn to be OK on your own.
- Creates memories. Travel is good for you because you build amazing memories that you can look upon fondly for the rest of your days.