Osprey’s Mutant 38 is loaded with technical features designed specifically for ski mountaineers and ice climbers. Aluminum stays and an inner framesheet create a lightweight suspension system that handles loads up to 50 pounds. The mesh Airscape™ backpanel and padded shoulder harness system ensure ventilation and all-day carrying comfort.
When the summit is in sight and every ounce counts, shed weight by removing the pack’s suspension, rope and side compression straps and the helmet carry sling. You can also strip the pack’s top lid and rely on the integrated FlapJacket™ to protect your gear from the elements during the final push.
Other alpine-specific features include A-frame ski carry loops, dual ToolLocks™ with bungee tool tie-offs, front panel webbing loops for crampon attachment. Glove- friendly zipper pulls and buckles keep your hands protected while grabbing gear. The padded hipbelt features a unique reverse wrap system to facilitate wearing a climbing harness while maintaining load stability. It also has built-in gear loops if you are traveling on easy ground but need to keep a few pieces of gear handy to build a quick rappel anchor on the way back down to base camp.
- Adjustable, removable one piece side compression/retention straps with upper side quick release buckles provides load stability and external carry options
- Reinforced A-frame ski carry loops work in conjunction with compression/retention straps to provide stable A-frame ski carry
- Stowable, removable stretch mesh helmet carry system provides stable carry of helmet when not in use
- Dual ToolLocks™ work in conjunction with bungee tool tie-offs to provide secure and easily accessible ice tool carry
- Multiple front panel webbing loops provide ideal attachment points for crampons and other needed gear
The top-lid with integrated FlapJacket™ system*, framesheet and aluminum stay, helmet carry, rope attachment strap and side compression straps are all removable to optimize weight savings. *Mutant 38 only
REVERSE WRAP HIPBELT
The unique hipbelt system allows the users to wrap the padded hipbelt out of the way of the climbing harness.
KEY CLIMBING FEATURES
Dual ToolLocks™ with bungee tie-offs for quick and easy access to your ice tools. Reinforced A-frame ski carry loops work in conjunction with compression/retention straps to provide stable ski carry.